Anyone that tried to use the first BETA of my NTFS permissions reporting tool today will have realised that it expired today – well fear not, the second BETA is here!
First of all, the BETA 2 installer can be downloaded here: NTFS Permissions Reporter BETA 2
There are a huge number of improvements in this BETA compared to the last version, though unfortunately I did not have chance to get all of the features I wanted in there but the majority of them are up and running and the rest will be coming in the final BETA (which should be out on the 20th January).
Thank you to everyone that provided feedback, it was all very positive with plenty of people saying even the first BETA was better than the tools they are currently using, so that was very encouraging. I received some great suggestions for additional features as well, and a couple of bugs that were reported which of course have all been fixed for this BETA (and hopefully no new ones introduced!). As a token of my appreciation I will be sending a small reward to everyone that did provide feedback, and don’t worry if the feature you requested is not in this BETA, it will make it into the next one.
Here’s some screenshots of the new version:
and here’s a list of the main changes since the last BETA:
- Permissions for each entry on tree view are now highlighted in different colours
- Added a new setting to the Options window that lets you turn off colour highlighting for permissions (affects table and tree view)
- “Report Permissions” option added to menu that appears in explorer when right clicking on a folder – this launches NTFS Permissions Reporter and starts reporting permissions for the folder that was right clicked on straight away.
- Added right click menu to table view that allows information to be copied to clipboard and other options.
- Additional copy options added to right click menu on tree view.
Added SID column to table view and CSV export.
- “Inherited” column in table view shows Yes or No rather than True or False.
- Fixed a bug that meant unchecking the option to get full display names from AD also meant user and computer disabled state would not be retrieved.
- Error log is now a grid with the following columns: Date/Time, Type, Error Details, and Path.
- Right click menu added to error log, with options to copy selected error details to clipboard.
- The “Apply To” details for each permission entry can now be used in filters.
- GUI improvements.
- The “contains” and “does not contain” operators are no longer case sensitive.
- Load Report Settings button and Save Report Settings are now up and running.
- Added link above report results that shows the settings that were used to generate the current report and lets you save them to XML file to be used in future reports.
- Added an option to the exclude directories window that lets you exclude subdirectories more than a specified number of levels beneath the original directory.
- Computer accounts used in ACLs are now identified correctly instead of being shown as users.
- The option to show group members is now working.
- Added a new setting to the Options window that lets you choose whether or not group membership information should be cached.
- Groups that only have members due to primary group membership will no longer be classed as empty
- New quick filters: “Specified account is denied permission explicitly” and “Specified account is denied permission explicitly or via group membership”
- When filtering by the “Permissions (simple)” property, you can now use the “contains” and “does not contain” operators
- Fixed a bug that caused the permission description to just show “Write” even if other permissions were specified as well as Write
- Added option to get primary group members
- Report results can now be exported to HTML as well as CSV
- Individual columns can now be hidden/shown in the results table view
- Added “From Group” column to results table view, which shows which group an account came from when the “Show group members” option has been used
- Option added to Options window that lets you choose whether or not groups will automatically be expanded to show their members when the “Show group members” option has been used
- Report results can now be emailed
As always I’m keen to hear what you think of the changes and any suggestions for improvements are more than welcome.